Monday, February 23, 2009

Phone Home

If you ever want to guarantee yourself some quality fun time, just do the following: Get a new little cell phone for the kids -- and then tell em they aren't allowed to use it for anything fun.

About a week ago I got one of those Pay-as-You-Go phones so that when the kids go out with friends or to an activity we can contact them.

Although they are normally unable see a huge pile of trash, stains on their clothes, or, say, a baby lying on the floor -- they instantly detected the 1 1/2 inch x 3 inch piece of black technology lying on the black table in the dark room.

"Whose phone?" a hopeful, Jason-toned voice asked.

We began:
"It is not YOUR phone... it is not your sister's phone... it is OUR phone, and you we will give it to you to use when you go out and we want to get a hold of you."

BIG SMILE ON FACE

We continued...
"...You will call us, we will call you. That is it."

A smile remains.

We went on...
"... You will not give the number to Patrick, you will not give the number to John...."

Smile begins to waiver slightly.

"... you will not text message. We call you, you call us. THE END."

The words "you will not text message" were the winners.
I watched as Jason's face formed a cartoon-mesh of colors and then slow-motion melted to the floor in a disappointed puddle.

Ah, good times... good times.

4 comments:

  1. You have been tagged...you have a great blog and I love reading it. I have tagged you with the Kreativ Bloggers Award. Check out my blog for the rule and have fun with it.
    http://baroness-bijoutery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Made me smile. Ahh, the joys of being a step-mom. My step-kiddos are a little younger, but we are constantly being reminded by my hubby's 11 year old that he is a "tween." We gently remind him that there are only two options, child and adult. And he is still a child. ~M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there that was very funny and made me laugh - yes they have special radar for technology stuff but equally special abilities to ignore what is not relevent (to them)
    Hope your life is settled down. DId you have no children before you got the step ones? that's me too! And I still don't so one step son is to me my one chance at motherhood

    ReplyDelete